Not sure which day I will be headed for the central coast of BC. Cellphone and internet service is politely described as poor to non existent. If activity drops off on this site that is the reason. We will get back at it as soon as I get back home.
The following information has been received from the ARRL
“Warning” Notices to ARRL E-Mail Users are Bogus
CANADA Day Contest is this Friday July 1 2016. For more information go to
As our members may or may not be aware, there is a potential strike or lockout action which may affect Canada Post in the coming months, starting any time on or after the 2nd of July. This work stoppage is not certain to occur and negotiations are ongoing; however, should it occur it will affect RAC operations which rely on Canada Post for cross-country mailing.
In the event of a work stoppage in the postal service, RAC members should know:
1) There would be no mailed-out renewal reminders to RAC members whose subscriptions would lapse in the coming months.
2) Membership Card requests would still be processed but no cards would be mailed out until the stoppage concludes.
3) Cheques mailed to the RAC head office to pay for membership renewal, club affiliation or other miscellaneous payments would not reach their destination until the stoppage concludes and there may be significant delays in restarting deliveries.
4) There could be delays to the distribution of print versions of the July-August 2016 issue of The Canadian Amateur magazine and possibly the September-October 2016 issue although they will be available online at the usual time from the “Downloads” area of the RAC website at: http://wp.rac.ca/downloads/
5) Maple Leaf Operator welcome packages would be held at the office for the duration of the work stoppage and shipped when it concludes.
If you believe your membership may expire in the summer months you can confirm the exact date in several ways. By logging onto your account on the RAC website you can see your membership expiry date in the “My Membership” page (http://wp.rac.ca/my-membership/). If you scroll down you will see, for example: “Your membership expires on: December 31, 2016”. Alternatively, for those receiving print versions of TCA, your membership expiry is printed on the mailing label of every issue of TCA just above and to the right of your name: for example,”31-Dec-16″ for “December 31, 2016”.
Members who wish to renew their membership can do so by clicking the “Join RAC” logo on the right of the RAC homepage and using the online renewal form in the “Membership Sign-up Renewal Area” at https://wp.rac.ca/home-2/membership-sign-up-renewal-area/?s2-ssl=yes. You can also renew your membership by calling the RAC office at 1-877-273-8304.
If you have any questions or concerns about this matter please feel free to call the office, and the RAC Office Manager will do his best to help you. Office hours are 10 am to 4 pm, Eastern time, every weekday. In addition, please watch this area of the RAC website for updated information.
Glenn MacDonell, VE3XRA
RAC President and Chair
There is a motion before the Board of Directors of the ARRL to support the National Traffic System. I hope it passes and would like to thank all those who makes this system work. For more information go to
The 2016 Pacific DX Convention will be held on Aug 5,6,& 7 2016. For more information on the event including closing date for hotel reservations go to
Here is an interesting story of a radio net in the Yukon territory
Reportedly one of the oldest hamfests around this event will be held the
third weekend in July. For more information go to
The Marconi Memorial HF Contest will be held July 2/3 2016. For more information on this contest go to
If you like radio and are interested in a career here is a site that may be of interest.
With wildfires and evacuations underway ARES members in New Mexico have been activated. To read more go to